Saturday, January 28, 2012

distortions

This weeks P52 theme was on taking a self-portrait.  I didn't want to do a generic self-portrait shot, even though I'm pretty darn good at them now from all the practice! You can see some here(France) and here(Thailand) and here(India). :)

Instead, I thought I'd play around with my self-portrait and use reflections around town to capture myself.  As I started snapping photos, which I'd like to say is super embarrassing to do in public with people walking around staring at me as though I was crazy, I began to think about the whole idea of self-image.  Particularly, how I look and how I want others to view me.  I think the pictures show a bit about the distortions we put on ourselves and the flawed views we may have.  

The first picture is crazy skinny...is it too skinny?
The second picture is perfect in my mind...is it achieveable?

The third picture is how I feel sometimes...is this ok?
The fourth picture is me with all my imperfections...is this realistic?

The fifth picture is how distorted things can become.
The sixth picture is me as I am and happy with it all.  


I know that my self-image is one that is not always on target.  I know that I can be critical about myself and how I look, maybe even too critical sometimes.  There are good days and there are the bad days.  There are days when I wake up feeling beautiful and there are days when I am down on myself.  Some things I can change and some things I cannot.  Over all though, I'd say that I'm (mostly) content with being me and working hard on being completely content with being me.  It is a process and one that I'm sure I'll grapple with throughout life.

ME!
 ...feeling silly about taking my picture in public...

8 comments:

  1. That is brave taking pictures in public, I think! I like the message along with your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely hard taking photos of myself in public. I felt like such a dork! :) Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  2. Your writing is as equally thought-provocative as your photographs. Great job on both!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! This means a lot. I'm always telling my husband that I'm not much of a writer and struggle with coming up with the right words to express how I feel on this blog. :)

      Delete
  3. I love how you approached this theme! I am inspired. :) And for the record, I think you are beautiful. Hope that's not to weird coming from a complete stranger. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No apologies necessary...your comment is much appreciated! Definitely one that I'll remember on the not so good days. :) Thank you!

      Delete
  4. My question(s) - how much is survival of the fittest (men) /prettiest (women) and how much is learned? Imagine in our time, promoting a reality program on the accomplishments, intelligence, altruism, powerfulness, bravery .... of women, past and present.
    Would it have the ratings/interest of the Kardashians/ Real Housewives/ Snookie and the Jersey crew???????
    I doubt it and that gives me pause - "raise your children well" Simon and Garfunkel, I think. Thank you Melody for making this (overlooked) most important observation and providing a forum for conversation. me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you found my thoughts insightful. :) It is a hard topic to talk about for sure. I just watched a documentary that was really enlightening and would totally recommend it. It is called "Miss Representation" and here is a link to it. http://www.missrepresentation.org Thanks for reading!

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my post! I absolutely LOVE getting comments and appreciate all the feedback and responses. :D xo