Monday, September 21, 2009

aishk



This is the acronym of my new school, which is otherwise known as American International School Hong Kong. I’ve actually been in school now for 5 weeks, 4 of which have been with the students. It’s amazing how quickly time has flown and how comfortable I already feel at this new school!
This year, I’m teaching second grade. This is a nice step up from my last position, which was in the first grade. I have 15 students, 7 girls and 8 boys. My students are from Hong Kong, China, Taiwan, Japan, Korea, India, Italy, and America. They are all very cute and I’m thoroughly enjoying my time with them.

There are essentially three different schools at AIS. There is the elementary school, which is where I work. Then there is the middle school, which is where Mathew works. Finally there is the high school. We have one head of the school and three principals, one for each of the school. Though we are three distinct departments, we are all housed on the same campus. However, because the school structure is so linear, I rarely ever see anyone outside of the elementary school. This has made it hard to get to know all of the staff, which is unfortunate in a way as I’m sure there are many nice people working at the school!

That being said, I do really work with some great people (20 total) in the Elementary School. The people I spend the most time with are the people on my floor. I work on the second floor of a castle (that’s what I call it) which houses the two grade 2 classes and the two grade 1 classes. The teachers include my second grade partner teacher (Troy) and his student teacher (Zoe) as well as the two first grade teachers (Michelle and Maria). I really, really like these people! They are so nice and so easy to work with!

I hope it is evident that I do really like working at AIS. I’m so lucky to have had such a wonderful start to my third year of teaching! I’m including some pictures of my school and my classroom (which is super small) so that you can see what it all looks like.

The school sign next to the entrance.

The entrance to the tower of the castle. We will have a new campus next year!

How my classroom started. It was so overwhelming to begin with!

It is looking much better now!

This is a photo from the first day of school. The students are wearing their PE uniform. I started with 11 students and now have 15 students!

3 comments:

  1. Love the pictures - I can't wait to meet the kids. They are so cute and I love that age. The castle is interesting looking and I think you have done a wonderful job on your room. Keep blogging I love to here all your news makes you seen less far away. Hug my son!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for the blog! Your kids are just adorable! Oooh, pray that I'll be able to come and visit you sometime in the next couple years! Love you, Mel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jacquie - Thanks! Can't wait for you to come and visit us!

    Ambre - Thanks dear! The kids are pretty cute. I'll be praying! :D Love you too! xo

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my post! I absolutely LOVE getting comments and appreciate all the feedback and responses. :D xo