I can't believe that C is already one week old! A lot has happened over the course of this week that has made it both seem to fly by while simultaneously move along at a snail's pace. Some memories are so vivid because of how new everything has been while others are a blur as we have just been trying to keep up with how different life is for us now. It has been such a whirlwind!
Reflecting back on this week, the first hours with C are etched in my memory as I recall savoring every bit of him - trying to see all of him and putting to memory what he looked like, smelled like, and felt like in the beginning. I remember taking in his many facial expressions, counting his fingers and toes, and spending time cuddling with him. Another memory that stands out is changing C's diaper for the first time, but then losing track of the number of diapers we had to use over the course of the week. Also nursing for the first time was quite remarkable as my body did exactly what it needed to, but then realizing that it is going to be a long time before I get a good nights sleep again! :) It has been a full week, that's for sure.
As you can imagine, this week has also been filled with every emotion possible. We've felt immense love, joy, pride, happiness, and thankfulness. We've also felt worry, anxiety, concern, uncertainty, and inadequacy. It has been a roller coaster, that's for sure. The first few days were super emotional ones for Matt and I as we just couldn't believe that C was really here and really ours. How did two imperfect beings make such a wonderfully perfect baby boy?!? We have been blown away with the LOVE that we have for C and the desire to make his life as comfortable and perfect as possible. It is funny, but when we look at him, we often don't just think about the now and his current needs, but we often find ourselves talking about his future and how we will affect it and end up shaping him. What a huge responsibility we have in front of us!
As the week has progressed, we have slowly learned what it means to be a family of three. It is no longer what Matt or I want. Life totally revolves around C these days and we are happy to accommodate! When he's hungry, he eats. When he's tired, he sleeps. When he has a dirty diaper, we change it. When he wants company, we are here eagerly waiting to entertain him. He is our world now and we wouldn't have it any other way.
Day 1 (1/1)
Some of the different faces of our boy...
All cleaned up!
Finally home and in his crib.
Heading back to the hospital for his first check up.
Resting peacefully in his crib.
Oh so happy to be outside!
Day 7 (1/7)
After his circumcision...so tired.
...Things to Remember...
- C basically slept, ate, and dirtied diapers through his first week of life.
- C took to nursing right away and had a great latch. However, we struggled to keep him awake while he was nursing. We tried tons of things including tickling him, taking off his swaddle, putting water on his face, and moving him about a lot.
- The first poops are meconium poops and are tar like and totally took us by surprise as no one told us about it. So when we changed his first diaper, we were both in shock!
- C was a trooper with all the check ups he underwent while in the hospital. He had to get some shots and get some blood work done and only cried a tiny bit when the needle was first put in.
- C did really well with his baths and barely cried at all.
- My recovery went well and I felt great during this first week. I was a bit sore from delivering naturally, but it wasn't anything I couldn't handle.
(Linking up with P52 Sweet Shot Tuesday, Tuesdays Around the World, Our World Tuesday, and Che and Fidel.)