Tuesday, April 3, 2012

fishing village

I thought I'd have some pictures from the beach to share with you by now, but sadly it has been raining here on Koh Samui (which is an island in southern Thailand).  Hopefully the rain will pass soon as I'm itching to be out in the sun.  That said, we've been enjoying a couple of lazy days just reading and napping and it has felt good!

Since I can't share any pictures from the beach just yet, I thought I'd share some pictures from our trip to the Aberdeen Floating Village in the Aberdeen harbor.  This harbor is full of junks, sampans, and a many other types of boats (some being fancier than others).  Something interesting I learned is that there are still many fishermen who live out on the boats with their families and live a fairly traditional lifestyle with fishing being their livelihood.

This floating village was definitely a neat place to visit.  The most eye-catching thing for me was simply the contrast between all the high rises and the very traditional fishing boats.

Junks

Small boats



The front and back of a famous seafood restaurant.

Our sampan driver.

Lots of fancy boats and working boats.


I just realized that I haven't put pictures up of me (or Matt) in a while.  Oops.  
I will add that to the ever growing list of things to photograph and fix on this lovely blog of mine! 

14 comments:

  1. Calling by as another participant from Our World Tuesday, so pleased to find you as we have a daughter living in HK and I have been sharing our Travels to visit her on my blogs! I am going to follow you with interest and will add you to my blog roll on one of my blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LindyLouMac! :) Thanks so much for following along. It is remarkable how small our world is and how connections can be made so easily and quickly. I hope your daughter is enjoying her time in HK! :)

      Delete
  2. I went to Hong Kong back in the early 90's... it was one of the most amazing and fascinating cities I have ever had the pleasure of travelling too. Not sure I will ever make it back there but I am glad I got to see and experience it at least once in my life time.

    Mollyxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Molly...it is just an INSANE city isn't it?!? :) I'm enjoying my time here and am thankful for the opportunities HK has given me. I'm glad you were able to come by for a visit, but I'm thinking it may have changed a fair bit since the 90's! :)

      Delete
  3. Great post. Diversity and perspective.. Thank You

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed it Joe! :) Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  4. Så fantastiska bilder från ett underbart Thailand!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You photo really caught my eye on the linky! I love the contrast betweeen the boats and the buildings. And the clouds look like they are painted on the sky! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Wendy! I'm so glad the pictures caught your eye! :)

      Delete
  6. wow! amazing! i love these photos - and agree with your comment that "the most eye catching thing was the contrast between the fishing village and the skyscrapers". great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah! :) I'm so glad you enjoyed the pictures and the post. The contrast is remarkable, isn't it?

      Delete
  7. These photos are lovely, great contrast with the skyscrapes and the boats! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my post! I absolutely LOVE getting comments and appreciate all the feedback and responses. :D xo