Friday, March 23, 2012

hunger

The P52 theme this week is hunger.  Yes...the theme totally has to do with the awesome Hunger Games series, which I thoroughly enjoyed reading.  That said, there was simply no way I was going to take pictures of kids killing one another, so I decided on a different interpretation of this theme.  My initial thought was to share some of the go-to snacks people enjoy here in Hong Kong (hunger = food), but sadly time got the better of me, so that will have to be shared some other time. You can totally hold me to it too! :) As my last post was quite sad, I thought I'd share something more lighthearted this time.  

So this week I've decided to share some photos from my time at the Hong Kong Sevens, which is a rugby tournament that includes 24 of the worlds best sevens rugby teams.  I've never watched rugby before today, so I really had no idea what to expect.  The first thing I noticed was how incredibly fit the rugby players are, both the men and the women.  They were running, tackling, and going full on for 2 seven minute halves all without any padding or protection.  Intense.  Another thing I noticed were the spectators who drank copious amounts of alcohol and were from all different walks of life, though notably mostly caucasian/western.  There were families, business men, regular folk (like Matt & I), and the crazies that dressed up in costumes.  Let's just say I spent about the same amount of time watching rugby and people watching! Fun times!

So how do the Sevens relate to hunger? In my mind, I thought the Sevens would be a good representation of peoples hunger for attention! :) There were a number of people that dressed up in costumes today, even though the big day is tomorrow.  These people were flamboyant, loud, and were totally ready for a good time.  They completely got into the spirit of the event and were not inhibited at all!

Group of pimps. 

 
Pride.


  
Randomness.

They go through a lot of beer, wine, and food this weekend alone.

Represent.


Tackle.

Athletes.

19 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was fun watching everyone letting loose and was definitely an experience! :)

      Delete
    2. It is testimony to the good and kind nature of all the fans,with all the beer, in three days I did not witness one fight.

      Delete
  2. LOL, I like you chose those pictures for Hunger Games costumes, Rugby Match, and rough battles in the arena, NICE . The costumes were crazy, maybe that is how the capitol citizens would dress everyday. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey now...I should have talked to you before writing my post. Thanks for making my pictures even more Hunger Games related! :) I did not even connect the dots. Shoot! :) HA!

      Delete
  3. Looks like a fun place to be! And in everyone's defence - I would also have to have a lot of alcohol in me to sit through an entire sporting event of any kind:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely fun...you couldn't help but get into the spirit of things. That said, these games are smart as each half is seven minutes long, so they are constantly rotating through the teams. I wish more sporting events were so quick! :)

      Delete
  4. Looks like a great time! The shots of the field are awesome! Sorry you couldn't link up. Occasionally the linky tools site goes down for a short time, so that may be what happened.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I actually was able to link up finally. Glad I found you and am looking to linking up more often. :)

      Delete
  5. I like your non-traditional interpretation, hungering for attention indeed. I love the candid photos too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed the pictures. It's sometimes hard to get good shots with so many people all over the place, so I'm glad a few of them turned out. :)

      Delete
  6. Looks like a lot of fun! My husband played rugby in Canada back in the day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Certainly a grand occasion and people have gone to a lot of trouble to dress up and have some serious fun!
    Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah...it was quite remarkable how excited everyone was to get dressed up and the efforts people went to with getting their costumes just spot on. Super fun! :)

      Delete
  8. "No ordinary blog" I love your style. Being one of the pimps and having met teachers at the 7s I fear we have met....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat! Thanks for stopping by and leaving a note. Glad you enjoyed the post. I only made it to the sevens on Friday, so I'm bummed I missed the craziness of Saturday. Glad you had such a wonderful time! :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my post! I absolutely LOVE getting comments and appreciate all the feedback and responses. :D xo